LINGUIST List 32.3978
Fri Dec 17 2021
Jobs: English; General Linguistics; Historical Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics: Senior Lecturer in English Language and Linguistics, Lund University
Editor for this issue: Lauren Perkins <laurenlinguistlist.org>
Fabian Beijer <fabian.beijer
English; General Linguistics; Historical Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics: Senior Lecturer in English Language and Linguistics, Lund University, Sweden E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Lund University
Department: Centre for Languages and Literature
Job Location: Lund, Sweden
Web Address: https://www.sol.lu.se/en
Job Title: Senior Lecturer in English Language and Linguistics
Job Rank: Senior Lecturer
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics; Historical Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics
Required Language(s): English (eng)
The senior lecturer will primarily teach, supervise, and develop courses in English linguistics on the undergraduate level, but may also be given similar duties at the master’s and doctoral levels. The successful applicant will bring expertise in corpus linguistics to research projects and to teaching on various levels. They will have broad and deep knowledge of English linguistics and the ability to teach courses and supervise essays within many areas of the subject, including grammar, semantics, phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax, pragmatics, language history, sociolinguistics, and language learning. They will also be able to teach language proficiency courses and courses in academic writing.
The senior lecturer may also be required to teach courses and modules aimed at people who do not normally study English, and to teach contrastive (English-Swedish) modules, for example within the translation programme. Teaching duties for this post will not exceed 70% of working hours.
In terms of research, the successful applicant will have an excellent track record within central areas of English linguistics (especially syntax, semantics, morphology, phonetics, and phonology) and a background in corpus linguistics. Relevant theoretical and methodological expertise beyond these areas is also welcome. A minimum of 20% of working hours are set aside for research.
The ideal candidate for this position will have an interest in researching and teaching historical linguistics, as this is an area the English unit is seeking to strengthen.
For appointment as a senior lecturer, applicants are required to have:
- been awarded a PhD in English language and linguistics or have the corresponding research expertise or some other professional expertise that is of value in view of the subject matter of the post and the duties that it will involve,
- demonstrated teaching expertise, and
- completed at least five weeks of training in teaching and learning in higher education or acquired equivalent competence by other means.
- excellent written and spoken English
- documented experience of high-quality, corpus-based linguistic research
- documented, extensive experience of undergraduate and master’s level teaching and supervision within English linguistics at university.
- the degree of research, teaching, administrative and other expertise that is of value in view of the work duties and subject matter of the post as well as other personal skills of relevance to perform the duties well.
- a good international standing as a researcher,
- good teaching ability, including a good ability to conduct, develop and lead teaching and other educational activities at different levels and using a variety of teaching methods,
- an ability to participate in supervising doctoral students,
- an ability to participate in and develop public engagement and other outreach activities, as well as otherwise lead and develop activities.
Specific qualifications in descending order of importance:
- documented expertise in corpus linguistics
- documented ability to obtain external funding
- documented experience of teaching the history of the English language
- previous experience of web-based teaching and development of web-based courses
- excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to co-teach courses as part of a team
Please apply via the application link below.
Application Deadline: 17-Jan-2022
Web Address for Applications: https://lu.varbi.com/en/what:job/jobID:401462/
Page Updated: 17-Dec-2021