LINGUIST List 32.3969
Wed Dec 15 2021
Jobs: Spanish; Language Acquisition: Assistant Professor of Spanish, Colorado Mesa University
Editor for this issue: Lauren Perkins <laurenlinguistlist.org>
Tony Ngo <tony
Spanish; Language Acquisition: Assistant Professor of Spanish, Colorado Mesa University, Grand Junction, CO, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Colorado Mesa University
Department: Department of Languages, Literature, and Mass Comm
Job Location: Colorado, USA
Job Title: Assistant Professor of Spanish
Job Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialty Areas: Language Acquisition
Required Language(s): Spanish (spa)
Colorado Mesa University invites applicants for the Assistant Professors of Spanish to serve as full-time faculty members in the Department of Languages, Literature, and Mass Communication. Responsibilities include teaching at all levels of Spanish (from introductory to advanced) at the undergraduate level. One position also requires an ability and/or a willingness to develop and teach curriculum in translation and interpreting. Teaching load is 12 credits per semester, consisting of a variety of lower and upper-division courses and may include literature, culture, professional, translation, interpreting, or medical, based on demand and on candidate’s expertise. A successful candidate will bring a diverse worldview, both through life experience and education. While the focus of the university is on teaching, we expect the successful candidate to contribute to the overall strength of the Spanish program by helping to recruit students, contribute to professional organizations, produce scholarship in the discipline, advise, and serve the academic community. Possible opportunities to lead summer immersion trips are available.
CMU is a state-funded institution that emphasizes quality teaching. With 23% Latinx student body, the Spanish program is poised to be a key player in the University’s goals of recruiting and retention.
Salary: $45,000.00 - 50,000.00. Commensurate with education and experience. Excellent health and retirement benefits package.
Education and/or Experience:
- PhD in Spanish or closely aligned field (with MA in translation and interpreting considered).
- Native or native-like proficiency in Spanish.
- Documentation of successful experience teaching Spanish at the university level.
- Experience in teaching translation and/or interpreting or willingness to develop the ability to do so.
- Evidence of ability to recruit to the Spanish program.
- Experience teaching Hispanic cultures.
- Experience teaching Hispanic literature.
- Interest in developing courses of interest to the study body (e.g., culture of the southwest, literature of Mexico, Chicano literature, etc.)
- Evidence of working with a diverse population, including First Generation and Pell-Eligible students, both in and outside of the classroom.
- Experience with leading study abroad programs.
- Willingness to advise clubs, organizations, and particulate in cultural activities that promote the program.
- Ability to help students of all skill levels, from second language learners, to heritage speakers to native speakers of Spanish.
Colorado Mesa University is particularly interested in candidates who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and who have a demonstrated commitment to improving the levels of access and success for underrepresented students within higher education.
CMU is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history. Applicant must be able to verify U.S. employment eligibility. CMU is an EOE, committed to a culturally diverse faculty, staff and student body. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Please apply via the application link below.
Application Deadline: 21-Jan-2022 (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: https://apptrkr.com/2699932
Page Updated: 15-Dec-2021